St Margarets Anglican Church 230 Aumuller Street, Westcourt Far North Queensland 4870 Australia
History of St Margarets The Anglican Parish of St. Margaret of Scotland, also referred to as the Ministry Unit of St. Margaret is located in the suburb of Westcourt. Once largely residential, the area has seen much change over the last 50 years and now has several large shopping centres, many commercial buildings and business premises. Consequently new residential areas have sprung up and we now draw our congregation from a much wider area.
Although we do not have as many Indigenous members in our congregation as before, we are still regularly blessed to have their singing and music at our Services and Feast days.
The foundation stone of St. Margaret’s was laid on the 11th October 1959 and dedicated by Bishop Ian Shevill on 31st January 1960 with provision for a lady chapel at a later date. On 5th July 1960 a large crowd gathered as the church was consecrated by Archbishop Phillip Strong, then Primate of the Anglican Church. Inside, the pews provide seating for 120 worshippers, which can be supplemented with chairs for large celebrations catering for up to 250 people. Stone for the alter was quarried locally near Tinaroo and in the front is set a stone cross from the original church of St, Margaret of Scotland in Westminster, London. The 3 foot figure on the 6 foot wooden crucifix behind the altar was carved in the famous Bavarian village of Oberammergau. There are stained glass windows to the sides of the altar, maple furnishings and carvings by the respected Stanley Moses. A striking mosaic depicting St. Margaret and several paintings contribute to the attractive and peaceful interior.
The grounds are quite extensive with a double street frontage and include a Church Hall, converted from the former rectory, which house a Thrift Shop, large function area, kitchen, offices etc.
We remember our Patron Saint each year on 16th November when a parish celebration is held. St Margaret of Scotland, born in 1046, was an intelligent, well educated princess who married King Malcolm of Scotland in 1069 and bore him 8 children. She was a devout Christian woman and worked tirelessly to improve the lives of her subjects and reform the church. She founded many churches, monasteries and pilgrimage hostels and spent much of her private time in prayer and ecclesiastical needlework. She died in 1093 and was canonised in 1249.